A Few More Sitecore 9 Installation Gotchas

I’ve been perusing all of the super helpful blog posts around getting Sitecore 9 up and running locally.   I started with Toby’s blog post on the prerequisites here followed by George’s installation post here.

I did however run into a couple more gotchas that I hadn’t seen listed and couldn’t come up with a solution for by searching which I’ll detail here in the hopes that it saves someone some time and aggravation.

Issue number 1 – “error_scriptdom_needed_for_sql_provider”.  Fortunately for me another co-worker had run into this error earlier in the week.  The fix was finding where we had the dll and putting it in the GAC.  In my case running the following from a cmd prompt window fixed it:

Cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v10.0A\bin\NETFX 4.6.1 Tools
gacutil -i “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\DTS\Binn\Smo\Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.dll”

Issue number 2: Install-SitecoreConfiguration : Failed to start service ‘Sitecore XConnect Search Indexer

When googling I found that a bunch of people had also run into this, however I didn’t see a solution.  I finally figured out that I didn’t have our latest and greatest partner license and as soon as I replaced that, I was back in business and am now the proud new owner of a local Sitecore 9 site.

Update 5/31/18 –

The JRE version is critical – use JRE 8 (not JRE 10 – uninstall JRE 10 if you have it). And use SOLR 6.6.2 as it fixes a bug in 6.6.1.

And Brandon Bruno has a ton of helpful tips up here.